Saturday, March 7, 2020

Dot-com to dot-bomb:

This was an extremely interesting lecture, because even though I am one of a handful of people in this class who is old enough to remember this time in a meaningful way (born 1978), I was only casually aware of these events. I was just starting as a chef at the time all of this was going on, though i was and am a fairly early adopter when it comes to technology. From the end user perspective, I remember reading about this but not having it really affect me directly that i was aware of at the time. It was for this reason that I found this lecture so fascinating. As someone who has waited 4+ hours for something to download on a 26k modem just to be Rick-rolled by a friend, I clearly remember this time frame, but still struggled to recall any of the events of the dot-com bubble. Somewhere between Clinton impeachment and y2k, this was quietly building in the background. I mean, clearly remember the events of 911 and the Disney fueled copy-write protests that went on around the time of the collapse (roughly), but could probably not have explained the dot-com collapse in detail with a gun to my head before this lecture. The events leading up to and surrounding the collapse can be viewed as a cautionary tail about being over extended and not having proper contingencies in place. I get that the bigger a company is the harder it is to pivot, but i guarantee that some people actually made a lot of money from this event in the long run. I guess that boiled down to recognizing that there was a bubble and planning ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment